For more details, view the I-Corps™ Hubs Interactive Map (pdf).
Across the country, Hubs will implement the I-Corps™ program in the research community by creating a network of universities that help researchers learn how to translate fundamental research to the marketplace. The I-Corps Hubs form the new operational backbone of the National Innovation Network, a network of universities, NSF-funded researchers, established entrepreneurs, local and regional entrepreneurial communities, and other federal agencies. The Hubs will work collaboratively to build and sustain a diverse and inclusive innovation ecosystem throughout the U.S.
The I-Corps Hubs will serve national needs through five areas of responsibility:
- Create and implement tools, resources and training activities that enhance the nation's innovation capacity.
- Identify, develop, and support promising research that can generate economic value.
- Gather, analyze, evaluate, and utilize the data and insights resulting from the experiences of those participating in local, regional, and national I-Corps programs.
- Provide opportunities to diverse communities of innovators.
- Share and leverage effective innovation practices on a national scale to improve quality of life throughout the nation.
The first I-Corps Hubs, and their participating institutions, are listed below. NSF plans to issue a new I-Corps Hubs solicitation in Fall 2021 to continue to expand opportunities for entrepreneurship education and technology translation throughout the United States.
NSF I-Corps Hub: Great Lakes region — NSF 2048612
- University of Michigan — Lead
- Iowa State University
- Michigan Technological University
- Missouri University of Science & Technology
- Purdue University
- The University of Akron
- University of Chicago
- University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- University of Minnesota Twin Cities
- The University of Toledo
- University of Wisconsin — Milwaukee
NSF I-Corps Hub: Mid-Atlantic region — NSF 2044502
- University of Maryland, College Park — Lead
- Carnegie Mellon University
- The George Washington University
- Howard University
- Johns Hopkins University
- North Carolina State University
- Penn State
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- University of Pennsylvania
- Virginia Tech
NSF I-Corps Hub: New York region — NSF 2048498
- The City University of New York — Lead
- Columbia University
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
- New York University
- Rockefeller University
- Stevens Institute of Technology
- Stony Brook University
- University of Massachusetts Medical School
- University at Albany
NSF I-Corps Hub: Northeast region — NSF 2048602
- Princeton University — Lead
- Delaware State University
- Lehigh University
- New Jersey Institute of Technology
- Rowan University
- Rutgers University
- Temple University
- University of Delaware
NSF I-Corps Hub: West region — NSF 2048703
- University of Southern California — Lead
- California Institute of Technology
- Colorado School of Mines
- University of California, Los Angeles
- University of California, Riverside
- University of Colorado Boulder
- The University of New Mexico
- The University of Utah
NOTE: NSF intends to issue a revised I-Corps Hubs solicitation in Fall 2021. The I-Corps Hubs solicitation replaces the archived Node and Site solicitations (NSF 17-533 and 16-547, respectively).