Graduate Research Opportunities Worldwide (GROW) - Japan
This information is specific to the GROW opportunity for Japan.
See Dear Colleague Letter NSF 16-012 for information on how to apply. For additional information on the GROW program, check the program webpage or email inquiries to email@example.com. Note that external websites not maintained by NSF may become inactive over time.
GROW in Japan
- Partner Agency: Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS)
- Potential host institutions: See http://www.jsps.go.jp/english/e-fellow-sp/p_host-inst_j.html . NOTE: GROW eligible institutions are the same as eligible institutions for the JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship for Overseas Researchers listed at this link.
- Duration: One research visit of between three and twelve months.
- Support: JSPS will provide a monthly maintenance allowance of ¥200,000; a settling-in allowance of ¥100,000; and overseas travel insurance.
- Other information:
- Fellows are required to arrive in Japan to begin their fellowship term no later than March 31, 2019.
- Eligible Host Researchers in Japan must be employed full-time or classified as being employed full-time at an eligible host institution. Full-time employment classification is determined by the regulations of the host institution but, in principle, assistant professors (jokyo in Japanese) and research assistants (Joshu ) are not eligible to serve as official hosts. Corporate hosts are not permitted.
- Additional Links:
- JSPS Websites:
- e-PLAZA informational site for JSPS Fellows: http://www.jsps.go.jp/english/e-plaza/index.html
- Life in Japan for Foreign Researchers: http://www.jsps.go.jp/english/e-plaza/51_lifeInJapan.html
- U.S. Embassy in Japan: http://jp.usembassy.gov
- Embassy of Japan in Washington, DC: http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/english/html/index.html
- NSF Tokyo Regional Office email address - firstname.lastname@example.org
- GROW Japan PDF
- JSPS Websites:
Return to main GROW page.