Special Instructions for Submitting Supplemental Funding Requests
In NSF 13-075, Dear Colleague Letter: FY 2013 Career-Life Balance (CLB)-Faculty Early Career Development Program (CAREER) Supplemental Funding Requests, the Foundation announced the opportunity to submit supplemental funding requests to support additional personnel (e.g., research technicians or equivalent) to sustain research when the Principal Investigator is on family leave. Up to 3 months of salary support may be requested (for a maximum of $12,000 in salary compensation) by CAREER awardees.
The Supplemental Funding Request must:
- Clearly specify that this is a CLB supplemental funding request;
- Provide a description of how the technician (or equivalent) would be used to sustain the research effort while the PI is on leave;
- Provide a budget and budget justification in support of requested costs;
- Include the following statement:
- Identify the proposed period of performance for the technician;
“The Authorized Organizational Representative hereby certifies that the request for a technician is because the PI is, or will be, on family leave status (or equivalent) from the institution in accordance with the institution’s policies.”
There should be no privacy related information provided in this request, i.e., the rationale for leave should not be disclosed to NSF.
Questions regarding these instructions should be addressed to the appropriate Directorate or Divisional representative identified on the CAREER webpage at: http://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/career/contacts.jsp. For additional information on the CLB Initiative, see http://www.nsf.gov/career-life-balance/.