Research Assistantships for High School Students (RAHSS): Supplemental
Funding to Current SBIR/STTR Phase II Awards to Broaden Participation
in Science and Engineering
Dear Colleague Letter —
The Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) programs seek to fund supplements to current SBIR/STTR Phase II awards that:
- foster interest in pursuing studies in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) disciplines; and
- broaden participation of high school students, particularly those who are women, underrepresented minorities, and persons with disabilities.
The establishment of Research Assistantships for High School Students (RAHSS): Supplemental Funding to Current SBIR/STTR Phase II Awards to Broaden Participation in Science and Engineering reflects the continuing effort by SBIR/STTR to promote increased participation of women and minority students and those students who are persons with disabilities.
Organization Limit: Only currently funded SBIR/STTR Phase II grantees are eligible to submit proposals for supplemental funding under this initiative.
PI Eligibility Limit: The Principal Investigator must be the PI of an active SBIR/STTR Phase II award.
Limit on Number of Proposals:
- Awards will be made as supplements to active SBIR/STTR Phase II awards;
- Maximum supplemental award amount: $6,000 per student for a total duration of no more than one year;
- Maximum of two (2) RAHSS students per SBIR/STTR Phase II award per project year;
- Administrative allowance limited to 25% of the participant stipend support only (in lieu of indirect costs);
- Twenty-five (25) supplemental awards anticipated for Fiscal Year 2006; and
- Awards subject to the availability of funds.
PROPOSAL PREPARATION AND SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
Proposal Preparation Instructions. Proposals submitted in response to this Dear Colleague Letter must be prepared and submitted according to the instructions for submitting supplemental funding requests (reference: http://www.nsf.gov/eng/sbir, under Requests for Supplements).
The Project Description is limited to 3 pages, single spaced, and must include the following components:
- Clear description of the form and nature of the involvement of identified high school student;
- Brief biographical sketch of candidate student;
- Follow-up mechanism to encourage advancement of RAHSS student beyond participation in the research program;
- Justification of the funds requested, and a supporting budget; and
- Identification of key personnel who will lead the effort. Their roles must be clearly articulated.
Budgetary Information. Budgets for RAHSS supplemental proposals may not exceed $6,000 per student, for a total duration of no more than one year. It is expected that $150,000 will be available in Fiscal Year 2006 for this supplemental funding, pending availability of funds.
Deadline Dates. There are no deadlines for RAHSS supplemental requests, but requests should be made as early as possible in the fiscal year to assure availability.
PROPOSAL REVIEW INFORMATION
Proposals for supplemental funding submitted in response to this
Dear Colleague Letter will be reviewed internally by the SBIR/STTR
Questions about this letter should be directed to Cheryl Albus; 703-292-7051 (firstname.lastname@example.org), Office of Industrial Innovation, Directorate for Engineering.
OTHER SUPPLEMENTAL OPPORTUNITIES OF INTEREST
All active SBIR/STTR Phase II grantees are also invited to participate in the Small Business Minority Academic Research Partnership Supplement (SBIR/STTR Phase IIA). Phase IIA will award a research supplement to a current SBIR/STTR Phase II grantee able to partner with a CREST/RISE institution (reference: http://www.nsf.gov/eng/sbir, under Requests for Supplements). Phase IIA supplements will be made to active SBIR/STTR Phase II awards with the maximum supplemental award amount of $150,000.
Director, Office of Industrial Innovation