What percentage of the U.S. workforce are S&E doctorate holders?
Employed S&E doctorate holders as a percentage of the U.S. workforce, by state: 2010
- S&E = science and engineering (biological/agricultural/environmental life sciences, physical sciences, computer/mathematical sciences, mathematics/statistics, engineering, psychology, and social sciences)
- Physical sciences = chemistry, physics, astronomy, and earth/ocean/atmospheric sciences.
- The number of employed S&E doctorate holders in the U.S. rose from almost 573,000 in 2001 to about 688,000 in 2010, an increase of 20%.
- The percentage of S&E doctorate holders in the workforce ranged from 0.23% in Arkansas to 1.16% in Massachusetts.
- States in the top quartile tended to be homes to major research laboratories, research universities, or research-intensive industries.