Salaries & Benefits
NSF has competitive salaries and benefits and offers a great work environment. Learn about how NSF works for you while you're working at NSF.
Salaries for General Schedule, Special Rate, and Senior Executive Service positions are available on OPM's web site at https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/salaries-wages/ . General Schedule positions receive the locality pay rate for Washington, DC. NSF?s Excepted Service salary rates are available at https://www.nsf.gov/about/career_opps/salary_ad.jsp.
As an NSF employee, you may be eligible to take advantage of the many civil service benefits offered to federal employees. Many of the benefits are cost shared by the government, keeping your cost down. Our benefits are comparable to and often better than those of many employers in private industry. Our fringe benefits program offers:
- Wide variety of health insurance plans at government rates;
- Low-cost life insurance coverage;
- Comprehensive retirement benefits;
- Tax-deferred Thrift Savings Plan;
- Metrochek or SmartBenefits transit subsidy up to $245.00;
- Pre-tax parking benefit;
- 13 to 26 days annual (vacation) leave per year, based on length of service;
- 13 paid sick leave days per year;
- 10 paid holidays per year;
- Flexible working hours;
- Family-friendly workplace policy;
- Overtime and compensatory time off; and
- Injury compensation if injured on the job.
Visit the NSF Human Resources Management site for more information.