Vannevar Bush Award
Honoring Lifelong Leadership in Science and Technology and Contributions to the Nation through Public Service
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS – 2013 VANNEVAR BUSH AWARD
The National Science Board is pleased to accept nominations for the 2013 Vannevar Bush Award. The Vannevar Bush Award honors
truly exceptional lifelong leaders in science and technology who have made substantial contributions to the welfare of the Nation
through public service activities in science, technology, and public policy. The award was established in 1980 in the memory of
Vannevar Bush, who served as a science advisor to President Franklin Roosevelt during World War II, helped to establish Federal
funding for science and engineering as a national priority during peacetime, and was behind the creation of the National Science
NOMINATIONS FOR THE 2013 VANNEVAR BUSH AWARD ARE NOW CLOSED
Vannevar Bush Award Recipients
Call for Nominations Flyer
ELIGIBILITY AND SELECTION CRITERIA
Candidates for the Vannevar Bush Award should have demonstrated outstanding leadership and accomplishment in meeting at
least two of the following selection criteria:
- Candidates must be U.S. citizens.
- Distinguished himself/herself through public service activities in science and technology.
- Pioneered the exploration, charting, and settlement of new frontiers in science, technology, education, and public service.
- Demonstrated leadership and creativity that have inspired others to distinguished careers in science and technology.
- Contributed to the welfare of the Nation and mankind through activities in science and technology.
- Demonstrated leadership and creativity that has helped mold the history of advancements in the Nation's science,
technology, and education.
Nominations must include:
- A current curriculum vita without publications (limit to 5 pages).
- A narrative statement (limit to 8 pages) addressing the candidate's activities and contributions related to the
- A proposed award citation addressing the candidate's activities in and contributions to national public service
activities in science, technology, and public policy.
- Contact information for award candidate and nominator (mailing address, email address, and phone number).
- Two reference letters (limit to 2 pages each) from individuals familiar with the candidate’s accomplishments, and not
affiliated with the candidate's home institution.
SUBMIT A NOMINATION
Nominations for the 2013 Vannevar Bush Award may be made through the National Science Foundation's FastLane at
https://www.fastlane.nsf.gov/honawards/. The website contains
detailed information concerning nomination procedures. Nominations remain active for three years, including the year of
Note for first-time FastLane users: Create an account on the FastLane website using the link found in the
upper right-hand corner above the "Log In" box.
Nominations may also be submitted by email or postal mail:
National Science Board Office
National Science Foundation
4201 Wilson Boulevard, Suite 1225
Arlington, VA 22230
For questions concerning the award, please contact Ann Ferrante at email@example.com, 703-292-4520.